Consulting on your project
The Ellyn Satter Institute is committed to enhancing quality of life with respect to feeding and eating. We base our work on the evidence-based Satter Eating Competence model and Satter Feeding Dynamics Model.
We value good materials and projects and want to endorse them, whether they are produced by us or by someone else. However, before we can endorse, we must ensure that projects are consistent with ecSatter and fdSatter. The prescriptive, policy-driven mindset almost inevitably slips in with agenda-driven food selection and food regulation information and controlling eating and feeding advice. As a consequence, before we can endorse your material, we ask that it be evaluated, for a charge, by a professional who is fully conversant with the models. That professional, in turn, is someone who has demonstrated to ESI that s/he has that expertise.
The Evaluation Rubric from the Perspective of ecSatter and fdSatter will help you to scrutinize your project. The material below will be helpful for you in understanding what is meant by nutrition information that is consistent with fdSatter and ecSatter.
- Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family chapter 13, “Choosing food.”
- Your Child’s Weight: Helping without Harming chapter 4, “Help without Harming: Food Selection.”
Prepare for consulting
- Study one of Ellyn Satter’s books. Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family addresses adult eating competence as well as does a brief treatment of feeding dynamics. Child of Mine addresses feeding in detail, birth through preschool. Your Child’s Weight addresses younger children more briefly and goes into detail for school-age children and adolescents. Although Your Child’s Weight concentrates on weight issues, it is generally applicable.
- Read the recommended links on this page.
- Contact us: Fill out this form to ask for help.
- Appointments: All telephone and Skype contacts with your consultant are by appointment. If you wish, your consultant will spend 15 minutes initially talking with you at no charge to get acquainted and to determine whether this is a good fit for your project. The standard charge for consulting is $150 per hour, payable when you schedule. We require a 24-hour cancellation notice in order to refund your payment.
- Payment: Payment is due before each session. Your consultant will tell you the payment procedure.