ESI Affiliate program
Become a credentialed ESI Affiliate or Associate
Join with other innovative professionals in helping children and adults find joy and competence in eating and feeding. Read here for more about the Ellyn Satter Institute (ESI) Affiliate/Associate Program. In brief, the ESI Affiliate program offers professional development and certification for those working with eating and feeding based on the Satter Eating Competence and Feeding Dynamics models. This program offers you support and mentorship in ecSatter and fdSatter.
The ESI Affiliate and Associate programs provide mentoring and credentialing for professionals trained in fdSatter and ecSatter. As such, the program provides a system for establishing and maintaining a professional network of trust- based practitioners, preventing model entropy, maintaining quality control for professional practice, and developing a referral network of and for trust model practitioners.
ESI Affiliates and Associates are pro bono ESI positions identifying individuals who have achieved a solid understanding, mastery, and competency with respect to fdSatter and/or ecSatter. They help carry out ESI’s goals of establishing and maintaining a professional network of trust- based practitioners, preventing model entropy, maintaining quality control for professional practice, and developing a referral network of and for trust model practitioners.
- The first step is becoming an affiliate. Affiliates receive mentorship and guidance from ESI Faculty Members and Associates.
- Becoming an ESI affiliate connects you with an international network and referral system of like-minded practitioners, committed to supporting one another in promoting the best practices of ecSatter and fdSatter.
- Affiliates and Associates are welcome at the Ellyn Satter Institute’s annual meeting and periodic remote meetings. At our meetings, we network, present papers, and plan for the future of ESI.
- Affiliate graduates can apply to become ESI Associates, who can present themselves in a practice or educational setting as certified experts in ecSatter and fdSatter.
Get qualified to become an ESI Affiliate
Professionals can qualify for Affiliate status by thoroughly familiarizing themselves with ecSatter or fdSatter and regularly applying it in a practice or educational setting. Possibilities for familiarizing yourself with the models include:
- Attend a one-day Ellyn Satter or ESI workshop.
- Complete the Child of Mine CEU test with a score of at least 80%.
- Have attended the 3- or 4-day Treating the Dieting Casualty Visions training.
- Have attended the 3- or 4-day Feeding with Love and Good Sense Visions training.
- Work your way through one or both of the self-study guides.
Apply to become an ESI Affiliate
Having qualified, the Affiliate is accepted into the program following evaluation of the application by ESI faculty members and Ellyn Satter. The application asks for contact information, education, and current and past employment. Then it asks five ~250 word essay questions addressing: 1) the applicant’s basis for interest in becoming an ESI Affiliate, 2) previous study of fdSatter and ecSatter, 3) experience with fdSatter and ecSatter, and 4) vision for applying fdSatter and ecSatter.
The Affiliate year
- November: You will receive your application invitation.
- March 1: Completed applications are due
- May 15: Acceptances are announced for the ESI Affiliates.
- September 1: The mentoring year begins.