Workshop for professionalsTreating the Dieting Casualty VISION Workshop
Register early to save your space!
About VISION workshops
ESI VISION Workshops offer intensive, in-depth training for professionals in assessing and treating established feeding and eating problems. The training emphasizes understanding and applying the Satter Eating Competence Model and the Satter Feeding Dynamics Model. Evidence-based and extensively tested clinically, these workshops offer practical, powerful, and compassionate solutions for complex eating and feeding problems.
About Treating the Dieting Casualty
Treating the Dieting Casualty is an in-depth workshop that trains professionals in assessment and treatment based on the the How to Eat method. This method has been refined by Ellyn Satter in over 35 years of clinical practice and successfully applied by over 400 professionals who have taken this workshop. Developed in response to the anguish and frustration of patients struggling with their eating and/or weight, the How to Eat method is a systematic, orderly, evidence-based treatment method that replaces distorted eating attitudes and behaviors with Eating Competence. Treating the Dieting Casualty is a weight-neutral approach to treatment.
Learn how to help patients struggling with their weight
Dieting casualties present themselves for weight loss and, at the same time, present professionals with a conundrum. These folks have been on many diets, have lost and regained weight many times, and generally get heavier each go-round. While they know a great deal about food selection and menu planning, they can’t apply it. They are so burned out on dieting that they can’t follow special diets, even for urgent medical reasons. Psychotherapy helps address life issues, but it doesn’t correct distorted eating attitudes and behaviors. The bottom line: another, better diet isn’t the answer.
- The primary target population is chronic dieters who are relatively healthy, socially and emotionally. You will also be shown how to apply How to Eat to extreme picky adult eating and other eating maladies such as binge eating.
- Individuals who successfully complete the How to Eat intervention are tuned in, orderly, relaxed, and positive about eating. They eat based on internal regulators, stabilize body weight, and are able to begin accepting and coping with issues relative to elevated weight.
- The How to Eat method can be used for treating some patients with eating disorders. However, eating disorders will not be the focus of this workshop.
Upon successful completion of this workshop, you will be able to understand and implement How to Eat, a powerful method for treatment:
- Cite literature addressing the theoretical underpinnings and evidence for the Satter eating competence model and a weight-neutral approach to health.
- State the theoretical basis of treatment.
- Consider the childhood antecedents of eating distortion in assessment and treatment.
- Differentiate among primary, secondary, and tertiary intervention in addressing adult eating problems as well as identify distinctions between education and psychotherapy.
- Enact secondary intervention by completing a thorough assessment of clients.
- Understand and apply biopsychosocial principles in planning and implementing treatment based on tested cognitive and behavioral modification protocols: relaxation, awareness, desensitization, and self-acceptance training and a defined sequence of tasks to shape eating.
- Address the emotional components of eating.
Will you benefit from attending?
- Are you an experienced professional who works with people who have established and entrenched distortions in eating attitudes and behaviors?
- Do you work in health, mental health, or education?
- Are you looking for training in behavioral intervention that doesn’t require your going back to graduate school?
- Are you very familiar with the Satter Eating Competence Model and the Satter Feeding Dynamics Model?
- Are you willing and able to do reading and self-study to prepare for this workshop:
- Read Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family, Parts 1 and 2, plus appendixes
- Review the Eating Competence category on Resources and links for professionals.
- Dates: Virtually starting January 11, 2021
- Learning modes: Lecture, case study, video, problem-solving, role-playing, discussion.
- Weekly live Q&A/discussion: times to be announced.
- Contact hours: Forty hours of continuing education. Certificates of completion awarded.
- Fee for workshop includes downloadable manual valued at $289, handouts.
- Registration: $1,175 for individual; $1,075 for 2 or more participants; $975 for 4 + participants from same agency.
- 20% discount on ESI materials purchased during workshop.
- Cancellation fee: $200 refund if cancellation request is received by November 30, 2020; $500 cancellation fee after November 30, 2020.
- Workshop Cancellation: ESI reserves the right to cancel the workshop up to 2 weeks prior to the event. Full registration will be refunded by same method of payment.
- For more information, contact [email protected]
About VISION workshops
ESI VISION Workshops offer intensive, in-depth training for professionals in assessing and treating established feeding and eating problems. The training emphasizes understanding and applying the Satter eating competence and feeding dynamics models. Evidence-based and extensively tested clinically, these workshops offer sensible and powerful solutions for complex eating and feeding problems.
This is a forum to change the lives of many unhappy people.
This training has helped me get back to nutrition. I had been thinking that to work in the way I wanted, I would have to get a counseling or mental health degree. Now I can help with eating behaviors with- out having to leave the profession.
As a mental health professional, this is the missing piece I’ve been searching for in working with my clients. I only wish I’d learned your methods years earlier. What a difference it would have made in my own growth!
I now know how to plan treatment and am much more likely to follow through with my patients. We made our investment in the workshop back in the first two months.
Space is limited!
Workshop registration limited to allow enhanced learning experience.