ESI Affiliate Program Application
Are you looking to further your professional mastery of the Satter Feeding Dynamics and Eating Competence models? Do you want to increase your expertise in applying the models to other areas of your clinical practice?
The ESI Affiliate Program is a certificate program designed for the professional who is well versed and has an in-depth understanding of the Satter models.
This case study-based 10-session program focuses on practical application and implementation of the models in both children and adults in a variety of situations including, but not limited to, failure to thrive, picky eating, child overweight, disordered eating, diabetes, and food intolerance. In addition to case studies, a literature review and application tests are included. Completion of the certificate program will help you ensure consistent application of the models across the continuum of nutrition care.
Approved for 27 Continuing Education Hours by CDR.
Space is limited to 8 applicants. Application deadline is November 16.
“It helped solidify my understanding of the models in practice.”
“I received very good exposure into the whole system of implementing Satter’s models and instruments into practice.”
“Just loved everyone jumping in with comments and helpful suggestions. It was great to be in touch with people from all over the world and know the model is spreading.”
How to Apply to the Affiliate Program
Professionals can apply to the Affiliate program after thoroughly familiarizing themselves with the Satter feeding and eating competence models, regularly applying them in practice or in an educational setting and meeting the core requirements below. Professional development opportunities to prepare oneself for the program can include:
- Attending live or watching on-demand webinars available via Dietitian Central or ESI website
- Completing the Child of Mine and/or Your Child's Weight self-study
- Attending Feeding with Love and Good Sense and/or Treating the Dieting Casualty VISION training
- Reading Ellyn Satter's books
- Participating in ESI professional mentoring
- 2021 prerequisite requirements:
- One VISION training (Feeding with Love and Good Sense OR Treating the Dieting Casualty) AND both self-study exam (Child of Mine and Your Child’s Weight)
- 2022 prerequisite requirements: Successful applicants must have completed both VISION training (Feeding with Love and Good Sense and Treating the Dieting Casualty) AND both self-study exams (Child of Mine and Your Child's Weight).
2. Submit the application
The application is available to download from the ESI website through the shopping cart. The application includes educational background, employment history, documentation of training in the Satter models, and 5 essay questions. Application deadline is November 1 each year. Application fee is non-refundable.
3. Applicants accepted into the program will have until December 15 to accept and pay the program fee of $1,150.00 (Program fee of $1,200.00 less the application fee).
Affiliate Program Costs
Application fee: $50.00 (non-refundable)
Program fee: $1,200.00 (less $50.00 application fee)
27 Continuing Professional Education credits are available from the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) for successful completion of this program. The Ellyn Satter Institute is an accredited provider for CDR.
A certificate will be provided when the Affiliate has completed all components of the program including attendance, assignments and successful passing of tests.
November 15: Application deadline
November 30: Applicants notified of acceptance
December 15: Participant program acceptance and payment is due. Incoming Affiliates will receive instructions on how to connect to the meetings, meeting time, and curriculum outline.
February 17, 2020: Affiliate program begins.
February 17, 2020 through June 30, 2020; meet every two weeks.
Discussion, peer review, and participant case study development and sharing are critical components of the Affiliate program. ESI is also awarding both a certificate and CEU’s upon completion of the program. Therefore, regular attendance and participation is required to successfully achieve the objectives of the program.
To successfully complete the Affiliate program a participant must have:
- 100% attendance;
- Regular session participation that adds value to discussions;
- Satisfactory completion of all work assignments;
- Live cast study presentation and discussion;
- Passing score (70% or higher) on all program exam(s); and
- Completion of final program evaluation.
We understand that life happens. Should a situation arise in which you need to miss a session, we ask that you:
- Notify the lead facilitator immediately, ideally prior to the beginning of class;
- Listen to the session recording and submit a summary of the covered lesson;
- Complete any assignments or exams; and
- Make arrangements to present your case study if you should happen to be absent on your day to present.*
- Note, all work must be completed and submitted within 7 days of the missed class or no later than June 30, whichever is first. (*Every attempt should be made to present the case study live. If for any reason the case study cannot be presented live, the participant may be asked to submit this to the group via a power-point presentation or taped webinar for group discussion.)
If for some reason you cannot complete the course work or meet the attendance requirements, please email the lead facilitator immediately and submit a Request for Extension. Extensions are granted on a case-by-case basis for emergency situations only. Approved extensions may include auditing of the next available affiliate program and/or fees for individual facilitator mentoring and review of material.